- Download the video iPod version (.mp4 / 89mb) or alternate video formats
- Check out the all previous episodes on Blip.tv or subscribe to theorycast via iTunes.
In this 7 minute video review, I’ll introduce the Cricket Laptop Stand. I’ll explain the big deal about laptop stands, compare the Cricket with my Logitech Alto and Targus Podium CoolPad, and finally show you how sleek the Cricket is.
Joe of LCDarms.com kindly sent one to me after I saw how interesting the Cricket was. Having debuted at CES 2008, the Cricket has just recently started shipping. It looks like something straight out of some futuristic anime; I simply love the way it transforms from an object the size of a thin cordless phone, to a large tripod for holding the heftiest of laptops (such as my 17″ MacBook Pro). It’s portable, height-adjustable, and it looks absolutely killer.
The Cricket Laptop Stand I received didn’t feel heavy, but rather felt solid as a stand. It’s sturdy as you’ll see in my video, especially since it’s made by the same folks who produce heavy duty mounting arms for computer LCDs. Mine came in Eco-Green, though it also comes in MacWhite and Charcoal colors.
For something of such quality build (metal & plastic), it comes at a reasonable retail price of $39.95. I say reasonable because I’ve seen plastic laptop stand costing as much, and aluminum ones going over $100. The Cricket enters a sweet spot in terms of price vs. performance. Here are photos to show you the level of detail in the Cricket’s design…
Click to any thumbnail to enlarge or view entire photo slideshow here…
- Adjustable height – simply press the big black button to adjust height of screen.
- Enhances airflow – air circulates beneath and around computer, keeping it cool.
- Extremely portable – easily fits in a pocket or computer bag.
- Ergonomic computing – elevates screen to comfortable viewing height, enabling use of full-size keyboard for more efficient computing.
- For tablet PCs – raises screen at angle for greater readability and more comfortable writing angle.
- Made of 70% recyclable materials.
- Offered in innovative sustainable and reusable packaging.
- Folded size (L x W x D): 8″ x 2″ x 1″
- Weight: 0.375 lbs
- Height adjustment: 11° to 60° (in six increments)
- Laptop/Tablet PC compatibility: 12 lbs
Day 2 Update: I’ve realized that the laptop stoppers are in the position of poking my wrists as shown in this photo. I might have to chop them down a little so that I can still type with them.