If you haven’t downloaded and played with Second Life, now’s the time to do so.
As the Rambling Librarian mentioned, residents of the InfoIslands have organized a series of programs revolving around the opening of the first library in Second Life. From 12th to 14th October, get to meet real life librarians, teachers and related academics over there as you participate in activities throughout the island:
Thursday, October 12
* 4 pm sl – 6 pm sl: Virtual Worlds and Education: The Cutting Edge – Speakers: Pathfinder Linden, Kitty Paul, Puglet Dancer, Professor Beliveau, Lorelei Junot and Maxito Ricardo ? Puglet Dancer and Kitty Paul will cut the ribbon to begin grand opening ceremonies at Info Island open air auditorium (Info Island 143, 82, 34)
Friday, October 13
* 7:30 a.m. sl – 1:30 pm. sl: Virtual Worlds and Alternate Realities – Where Do Libraries Fit In? – A variety of wonderful speakers with keynote by Pathfinder Linden – Info Island open air auditorium(Info Island 143, 82, 34)
An audio link is available at http://22.214.171.124/v4/login.asp?r=67955673&p=0 type your name and click enter. Minimize this window. For those without audio we will transcribe the speaker as they speak.
* 5:00-6:00 p.m. sl: Scary Movies at Second Life Pantheon Picture House (Info Island II, 98,71,24)
* 6:00-8:00 p.m. sl: Costume Ball at Info Island Mystery Manor ? prizes for best costumes! (Info Island, 214, 163,33)
Saturday October 14
* 8:00 a.m. sl: Opening of Caledon Branch – 19th century library (Caledon Tamrannoch 211,31,22)
* 9:30 a.m. sl: Grand Opening of Second Life Library Medical Library – special events (Info Island 165, 204, 33) – Bioterrorism demonstration, Speakers: Moriz Gupta and Sojourner Truth
* 12:00 p.m. sl: Second Ribbon Cutting and special speaker – Info island Open Air Auditorium (Info Island 143, 82, 34) – Katt Kongo, editor, Metaverse Messenger
* 3:00 p.m. sl: Talis SciFi & Fantasy Portal Opening – special events (Info Island 29, 62, 33)
* 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. sl: TX950 Beach party and celebration – dancing refreshments, fun (Info Island 85, 33, 23)
* Throughout the day: Tours, scavenger hunts, information kiosks – come and have fun!
You can get further program details over here. If you’re there, try finding me as “Kevin Suisei”. If you have trouble locating this island, click here for the map where you can instantly teleport there.