The UneasySilence crew shared a pretty neat tip for Mac users looking for a cheaper (Free!) alternative to Apple’s iDisk.
In my earlier post, I explained how Box.net makes allowed you to easily store files online just by using your web browser. You get 1gb of online storage free, but you can score more space either by getting referrals or by paying for it.
Just today, Box.net upped the ante by allowing Mac users to access Box.net within Mac OS X, requiring no additional software or special configurations! It works just like Apple’s iDisk by mounting a network drive on your Mac desktop.
Here’s how you do it:
1. In the Finder desktop, select the “Go” menu
2. Choose “Connect to Server” (Command-K)
3. Enter the address: https://www.box.net/dav (secured connection)
4. When the login screen appears, enter your Box.net email address as username and your Box.net password as password
5. You’ll see a mounted drive on your desktop named “dav”
Now you have a network drive to easily store files online!
BTW: Sign up here if you haven’t!