WordPress 1.5 = Spam Protection!

Hooray! I updated my blog to WordPress 1.5 (codename: longhorn strayhorn), which has a few features I like, such as creating and maintaining static web pages along with the usual blog. In addition, a key feature everyone is bound to love is better built-in spam control. Mass-editing comments is much easier now when you need to screen through comments manually, or you can even set up the ultimate blacklist option so WordPress automatically nukes comments that say contain obscene words (after party poker came xxx-milf spammers). Be careful with blacklisting, as it’s silent and deadly. You won’t even know when the blacklisted comment is killed. Another useful thing to note is how WordPress now checks for insecure proxies, which is how the large majority of spammers leave comments while hiding their identity. Comments posted via insecure proxies are now blocked by default. In a Military-class standard, you can also force users to register with your blog before they can comment… that’s really powerful, but might deter your readers from responding. Finally, if you still get spammed and can’t take it, a lot of anti-spam plug-ins are now compatible with WP1.5. Just shop around.

On the whole, the WordPress 1.5 install is smaller and seems to run much quicker. I’ve gotta say that the new Dashboard does give me a good overview on what’s happening on my blog, and even provides a decent news feed on the on-goings of the WordPress community.

  • http://theory.isthereason.com Kevin

    While the WordPress 1.2 templates can be easily modified to work in 1.5, I encountered a really bizzare problem with my “Stuff I’m looking at” column in the right sidebar. The title would stretch all the way horizontally. Looking at the source code, I could see a tag surrounding the title, causing it to take on the CSS attribute of a long background graphic. I had to find out what was putting the tag into my template. Fortunately I found the links.php file the “wp-includes” directory of my install and within that, was able to see tags where they didn’t originally exist in WP 1.2. Taking that off solved my problem entirely. I don’t know why WordPress developers decided to put the tag there when it wasn’t there in 1.2… Just thought this might help some people who encounter strange display problems like mine.