Figuring that it’d be useful for my dissertation, I got the book location by taking down the Library of Congress classification code (Thx to Alex & Bridget, that’s NOT the dewey decimal!), went to bookshelf on 3rd floor, but I ended up not finding it.
Went back to office, got on my Mac, messaged ublibrarian10 on AIM, gave all the details, and the response was to check new additions shelf.
At lunch time, I went down to reference librarian desk, and asked where the new additions shelf was. The shelf was located near the elevator, and after five minutes of perusing the short shelf, I still couldn’t find it.
Throughout this time, the book still showed as available online. How I couldn’t find it, as strategically as I possibly could, showed the downright failure of locating physical objects even in an archival environment.
I think it’s time we built some form of in-building pseudo GPS using the Library of Congress classification system (in place of latitude/longitude co-ordinates) and RFID technology for real-time book location. Gezzz…
UPDATE: Singapore librarian blogger, RamblingLibrarian, shares his thoughts on my story, sharing his thoughts on problem areas as well as strengths of our UB library.